Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Tuesday at the Abbey

Many of our group are on the "Pilgrimage"; either a 3 mile or 7 mile exploration of the Isle of Iona. I cannot do this with the stints in my legs, but am glad for some let down time. Bill went on the 7 mile. I am glad the stroke did not affect his physical stamina. He has spent his life taking excellent care of his body and it is paying off, Worship has been lovely. The biggest surprise to me is the Iona Community. I was expecting Nuns and Monks. Instead there is a group of 20 somethings that are either resident staff or volunteers. They are on 2-3 year assignments. They are talented and reflective. I am amazed at the richness in the answers and possibilities they bring to my spiritual yearnings. I am curiously looking at my surprise and appreciation. I am discovering a "reverse ageism" I did not know I held. I knew I held certain thoughts and beliefs; but I thought they were truth and factual data. A shifting of position in me. This is a good thing.

This is a wonderful Pilgrimage for me. Getting re-acquainted with old friends and embracing new ones. This is a "Thin Place". Thanks go to Sharon, Kathie and Leif.

No comments: