Tuesday, July 20, 2010

What a lovely place!

I'm glad others can put up pictures to give you the idea of what this place looks like. It changes from moment to moment depending on weather- goes from mist to rain and back again with some hous of sun and rainbows thrown in. For me there have been many highlights since we arrived on Iona Satursday evening.. It is so special to be living and working in the rebuilt Benedictine Abbey and know that others were living and working here way back in the Middle Ages. ( That' s how I get out of doing exact dates- after all, they are numbers.) There have been lots of "thin place moments" here, but one of the highlights, for me, has been getting to know people from all over and to discuss things like prayer and healing with them in the Chapter meetings. It is a great way to learn and stretch my understanding. Last night I went down to the ceilidh in the village hall which was a hoot! Nothing fancy and much like camp folk dancing, but I did get to see some of the Scottish dancesI have always heard about! I met one of the local women and got to learn a lot about kilts and local customs from her. I think kilts might not always be the best clothing for " a thin place"- could be drafty!

No comments: